Saturday, September 19, 2015

Back in the USSR

I've been feeling distinctly unwell this weekend.
Thank heaven for Mrs. History PhD (and Teddy)!

Anyway, after a couple of weeks of fiddling with other things, I'm back to 3mm Cold War and it's Soviet tanks. We're back in the USSR ("You don't know lucky you are"). Despite my misery (mild food poisoning, not brought on by my wife's Thai cooking!), I've managed to finish the battalion command stand that I was lacking for a T-64A battalion which I had been working on earlier in the week (before I was cruelly struck down):
And the whole thing:
That's what I love about 3mm! Battalions really look like battalions. 

I had planned on using a BRDM-2:
as the second vehicle on the battalion command stand, given that each Soviet armored battalion had a section of them as a recon unit. However, wheeled vehicles mixed in with my tanks just rankles, regardless of the authenticity. So I swapped for a BRM:
which fulfilled the same role. I know, I know! But it's MY Soviet Army!

More after my recuperation!

7 comments:

  1. Putting the BRM on there also allows you to use this stand as a CSOP if you want to, so I think it is a pretty good substitution. I like the look of this battalion, at this scale modeling the differences between the T72 and T64 is a bit challenging (beyond the mounting of the IR searchlight), but this works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stand labeling will be the cure for that problem

      Delete
  2. Hi! It's really great! May be you were asked about it before but which combination of paints you use for soviet vehicles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Each WarPac nation used a slightly different green, all of which were subject to fading, wear, etc. For my Soviets, I use the Vallejo paint that used to be called "Soviet Green", but has been renamed "Camouflage Olive Green" (894). Look over my previous post on painting Soviets: http://verytinywars.blogspot.com/2014/08/painting-soviets-for-1981.html?m=1

      Delete
    2. After that base color, I wash with a 2:1 enamel mix of thinner/black, then dry brush with Vallejo Russian Uniform (924)

      Delete
  3. Thanks !!!I'll follow your guidelines for my 6mm tanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Glad that I could be of help! I'll look forward to seeing your finished Soviets

      Delete