Friday, February 6, 2015

My Spoon Rest radar

In a previous post on my East German SA-6 Gainful battery (January 2, 2015), I noted that the pack from O8 came with a Straight Flush radar vehicle, but not a Long Track radar. One other radar that was quite commonly seen accompanying the Gainful was Spoon Rest. In the SA-2 Guideline pack, there are two radars, Fan Song B and of particular interest, Spoon Rest B:
Spoon Rest B would be appropriate for the 1960s, but as my LANDJUT campaign is set in 1981, I would need Spoon Rest D:
The only appreciable difference at this scale is that the B model is based on a ZIL-157 truck, while the D model uses a URAL-375D. Spoon Rest is actually still in use and the latest model is the E. When Spoon Rest A went into service in 1956, it replaced the earlier Knife Rest B:

In order to get a Spoon Rest, I bought O8's Guideline and now I have the entire pack left over, as I have no use for the rest of it. Anybody need a slightly used SA-2 battery? In any case, here is my Spoon Rest stand:

The antenna cut-out was quite flimsy, so I took it to work and had it 5mil laminated. Now it's much sturdier. Quite a nice little addition to my combat support stands.

As an added bonus, for those of you who game Vietnam in 1/600, the North Vietnamese SA-2 sites used Fan Song A in the earlier stages of the war and upgraded to the B model when the Soviet Union made it available later. So let me show you how to convert the B model that O8's pack comes with into an A model. Here is the B as it comes in the pack:
Now, to convert it into an A model, simply remove the radar dish on the left, like this:
Can you tell that one of my areas of specialty in field intelligence (the odd couple of decades ago) was Soviet radars? 

Ok, another installment later in the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment